Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Week 11: Final Sketch Prep

This week we have formed our groups for the final project. We have 5 members in our group now, each of us with strengths that we can use towards making an amazing project.

For monday our group will be handing in a deliverable, our first chance to showcase our groups talents, and work together.

This week we also handed in our final reading assignment. We were to choose 1 reading out of a selected list. The reading I chose was on Sprout I/O. I found this extremely interesting. Sprout I/O is intended to be an interactive textile interface. It was inspired by the way threads in a carpet react to weight when they are stepped on, and how they retain their shape once the weight is removed.

I chose this one not only because I found it extremely interesting, but it reminded me of another project that I had learned about, an interactive display where the colour shapes and textures change depending on the light and speed of the display.

The display is made up of multiple small spinning discs with black and white patterns on it. Depending on the speed and direction that the discs spin, it creates the illusion of texture and different patterns. The intended purpose of this installation, is to create an interactive art and display experience, something that may be found in museums or even night clubs.

I first learned about this projet at Siggraph 2011 here in Vancouver, I worked with the creator Yoichi Ochiai for the majority of my time at Siggraph. Here I learned all about his explorations in interactive media and arts.

More can be found on his work here: http://96ochiai.ws/cyclonedisplay.html

Overall I would love to see more works such as Sprout I/O and Cyclone Display, and to learn more about the ideas and technologies behind them.

No comments:

Post a Comment